Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Making Tracks Day by Day and Jet Time

First of Many Journeys

July 11

A slow start on VIA Train #1. We eventually got underway just after 2:00 AM. I would have just four hours of sleep. I later learned that we had passed Sudbury, Ontario. At dawn, I went up the dome car for the first time, before enjoying a hot breakfast. On this voyage, the Skyline car is referred to as Dome 1. It serves as lounge car for the economy class.
View from rear window
It took 19 hours to pass through Ontario. Much of the landscape is forests and lakes. We were traveling north of the Great Lakes. There were also views of the Canadian Shield.
We had two short station breaks this day. By the second stop, my camera battery was depleted, having used it on numerous practice shots.
Hornpayne

I saw the coaling tower when I returned to my seat.

July 12

We had changed time zone, last evening at 9:30 pm. This would shift my sleep cycle every day, as I would start falling asleep at sunset and waking up at sunrise, when my appetite would remain on Eastern Daylight Time.
Manitoba

Winnipeg means muddy waters in Cree


Spent two hours around the Winnipeg VIA station, as the train was being serviced. I befriended a young woman from Japan. She was a school teacher visiting Canada for the first time. The new Human Rights Museum was right outside. We visited The Forks, a popular attraction. Unfortunately, I had left my phone on the train.
Left Winnipeg just before noon Central Daylight Time, with a new crew. The rest of the journey would look the same for the next couple of days.
We stopped a lot
One of the highlights of Manitoba was the panoramic Assiniboine River. It was a breathtaking view just from the lounge alone. Without the camera, I used videos to capture the vastness of the valley.
The winding Assiniboine River

July 13

Due to further delays, the train was 8 hours late arriving in Saskatoon. I found out later, a freight train had derailed in British Columbia the day before. Because of this, we had stopped quite a lot this day to allow for freight train traffic.
Good morning Saskatchewan
Edmonton Station
More cars added

Alberta is named after Queen Victoria's fourth daughter


At 7:30 pm Mountain Daylight Time, Train #1 picks up five additional rail cars as well as more passengers.
Jasper, Albera

July 14

The excitement of passing through the Rocky Mountains made it hard for me to rest. Since it was pitch black outside, I could only feel the movement of the train climbing and turning. Upon arriving at Jasper, Alberta, I could see snow on the ground. Other passengers were anxiously waiting to stop and rest while the train was being serviced.

At 3:30 am Pacific Daylight Time, dawn exposes the mountain tops as Train 1 departs Alberta.
Moose Lake
I return to Dome 1 to watch the sun rise in the 'Rockies'. The weather was certainly different up at that altitude. At 3232 metres above sea level, the peaks rise above the clouds.

I only managed some good shots as the train quicken its pace.
Could be Robson Mountain
I was awake for two station stops. Blue River and Clearwater. These towns are near the scenic Wells Gray Provincial Park
First break in sixteen hours
At 12:30 pm, we had a short rest in Kamloops to check in with the Bed & Breakfast. 12 hours late arriving in Vancouver. Train 1 offers free dinner for all aboard.
Pose!
Skybridge, Vancouver
At 9:30 pm in Vancouver, backed into Pacific Central VIA station. Saw a derelict ship along the way from the past season of The X-Files.

July 16

Sunrise on flight back to Toronto
Over Lake Huron

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

This is me...

My photo
My aspiration is to be better at telling stories. I only need a pencil and paper.