Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Deducted Reasoning

Megan Hunt's paralytic condition proved to be a clue to solving recent mysterious deaths.

A Body Of Proof fan fiction



Disclaimer: I don't own Body Of Proof. I just got attached to it.

Megan Hunt felt unsure of where she was when she awoke. It was safe to say she was not in her apartment. The worst part. She didn't remember going to sleep. When she opened her eyes, she could make out Peter's Dunlop's silhouette sitting in a chair just off to the side. Megan realized then that she was in a hospital room.

As if on cue, Peter jerked awake in time to see Megan trying to sit up. She stopped when she propped herself on one elbow. He saw in her face the familiar pain whenever her paresthesia acted up. "Ouch!"

Peter was by her side in an instant. "Megan, you should lie back down."

She did as she was told. "What am I doing here?"

He was worried by Megan's confused expression. "What's the last thing you remember."

"I was working in my office. Why?"

"You don't remember passing out?"

"No." The very idea frightened her.

"How do you feel now?"

Megan shook her head. "I feel find. Rested even. What did the doctors have to say?"

"They couldn't find anything that would explain your unconsciousness."

She got quiet and became deep in thought.

Peter pulled out his phone and asked, "Should I call Lacey?"

She harrumphed, putting a hand on his arm. "Don't bother. Lacey went camping with friends for the weekend."

He held out a helping hand when Megan started to get up. Peter knew nothing could keep her down for long, but it didn't keep him from voicing his concern.

"Where do you think you are going?"

Megan was half way to the bathroom when she remembered to answer him. "Work. I think I know why I fainted."

"You're kidding, right?"

At the Medical Examiners Office, Dr. Kate Murphy, already in her scrubs, was managing the autopsy of three seemingly different cases, without her star ME. It didn't seem odd to her to see Dr. Hunt walk into the lab.

"Megan, feeling better?"

"Yeah," said Megan. "Thanks for asking." She smiled at Kate before marching straight for the refrigerator and removed three containers of stomach content.

Kate became curious and tried to follow what Megan was up to. "What are you doing?"

Megan used a syringe to extract a small sample to examine under the microscope.

"Yesterday morning I studied these for some time. And I remember smelling something that made me dizzy."

"Aha!" Megan had a look of satisfaction.

"What? What is it?"

"Kate, I know what the scuba diver, the construction worker and the bus driver had in common." She paused for effect. "They've all been to the dentist recently. Coincidentally, all three had extraordinarily high levels of lidocaine in their systems, which had not been metabolized. High levels are known to have serious side effects."

"Well. Why were you affected?"

"For me, the amount I inhaled, combined with the medication I was taking for my parestheisa, caused an unexpected reaction. It was like a analgesic. I was knocked out by it."

FIN

Please let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I love it...and I would like to invite you to add it to a new archive especially set up for Body of Proof. If you want, please go to http://www.thebodyistheproof.com/fanfiction join & submit your fanfiction.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

This is me...

My photo
My aspiration is to be better at telling stories. I only need a pencil and paper.